Saturday, July 13, 2013

Sketchcrawl at Kelburn


It was an overcast mid-winter day for the Wellington Sketchers meetup for the 40th Worldwide Sketchcrawl. You can't quite see it from this photo, but the peaks of the Tararua mountain range to the left were covered in snow. Wellington Harbour is always so beautiful.

We started out at the lookout near the top of the cable car station, which unfortunately was totally covered in scaffolding and almost completely demolished! That was unexpected! Anyway, we sketched around Kelburn Lookout and I drew the view looking away from the lookout, towards the gardens. I loved how Narnia-like the paths leading off to the Botanic Gardens looked. There is something kind of mysterious for me about how these paths wind off into the forest.


This was done with Noodlers black ink and my Shaeffer medium nib fountain pen. I love how smooth the fountain pens glide across the paper.

Then we went onto the Carter Observatory and drew outside. There wasn't so many people about today, and particularly around this area. The Carter Observatory still had lots of Matariki posters out the front. Matariki is the start of the Maori New Year (for many iwi), and it falls in mid-winter when the Pleiades star cluster (Matariki) are first seen in the morning sky, usually around June.


I haven't drawn buildings so very much, so I just focused on sketching rather than trying convey any sort of mood (other than the quiet early-morning serenity of the area). This was done with grey super-fine felt tip pen. I have almost never sketched with it and thought I would give it a try. I was pretty happy with how it worked.

Then the sketching group went off and had a lovely lunch, which I always enjoy, and looked through everyone's sketchbooks. I really enjoyed it.

Blog Badge


No comments: