Sunday, June 30, 2013

Paekakariki sketching

I went to a Wellington Sketchers meetup at Paekakariki on the weekend. We sketched around the train station. We saw a bright red diesel train pushing some of the restored (I think) old carriages and trucks into the sheds. I've never seen them moving before, so that was something new for me.



We went into the Paekakariki Railway Museum before it closed for the day. I could have spent quite a long time there, sketching everything and reading all the displays. They really have gone to an enormous amount of work in the museum, and I thought it was great and very professionally done. We had a long chat to the museum volunteer, who was really helpful. She let me sketch her and read us excerpts of a very old vintage book they had there called The Home Physician.


Afterwards, I met up with my family and sketched this in the car, looking across the water towards Kapiti Island, in the 2 minutes while we were getting ready to go. 


Here are some photos of Paekakariki, taken on a different day though.


Above: Queen Elizabeth Beach, Paekakariki, looking inland.


Above: Queen Elizabeth Beach, Paekakariki, looking outwards towards Kapiti Island.

No comments: