Saturday, May 18, 2013

Sketching at Te Papa

I went to the Wellington Sketchers meetup at Te Papa on Saturday. Te Papa is Wellington's main museum and it means "Our Place" in Maori.

We sketched on the first floor foyer first. I just managed to get these two people down on paper before they walked off. 




Then we walked over to one of the permanent exhibitions "From the Mountains to the Sea". It is an interesting place because the lighting is quite dark and they have purposely made the space quite complex, with doorways to exhibits & walkways this way and that. It is a little disorienting, and I was able to sketch people as they were standing there for a moment trying to get their bearings. It isn't disorienting in a bad way. I think it engages people and probably makes them more likely to appreciate the wonder of what is being exhibited there.


Someone looking at the exhibits. I liked this posture: where you are half turning to go, but half turn back to read or look at something that has caught your eye.


There was an exhibit of photographic portraits. I sketched the one above, before I read the description of it. I was thinking to myself ¨Gee, this woman looks awkward, uncomfortable and is starting vacantly into space¨. Then I read the artists description and that was precisely what she meant to do. It was an art piece about women feeling awkward in the face of an oppressive atmosphere in the 1960s. So the photographer was actually right on.

There was so much to sketch at Te Papa, that I will definitely come back here to sketch again.


Blog Badge

No comments: