Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sketchbooks, journalling and being a SAHM

It always seems very difficult to keep up sketching while having very small children. I would love to do urban sketching, but my kids would have run a km away before I´d finished my sketch.

So for the moment I am sketching from photos. My son is quite interested in colouring in my sketches, and he will wait while I do it. I can hear a voice in my head saying ¨OK - you have 60 seconds - sketch!¨. Sixty seconds is the maximum amount of time a small child will probably wait for a picture to colour in. So this is great practice at developing the fast sketching and quick eye that I will probably need when I start sketching in the real world. Sometimes I only get half way through, but then he finishes off the sketch himself. I have fond memories of doing this with my own dad.

Also, and this is difficult: I let him colour in my pen and ink sketches in my sketchbook journal. This has been quite a leap - that´s my sketchbook, I think. But then I think, oh, get over yourself, you´re not Vincent Van Gogh or anything!

I did these two sketches below on site, which was a rare opportunity.










No comments: