Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Stamped bookmarks


I was experimenting with my russian-themed handcarved linocut stamps, and thought I´d make some into bookmarks. I like these, although I won´t be using the textured paper (far right and 2nd from the left) again. I´m a bit suprised at how hard it is to get a good print off the band of trees stamp. My online research says that I may need more pressure for the printing, or to try dampening the paper. Some sites also suggest that linoleum can be slightly uneven and may warrant sanding down before use, and has a shelf life of 6 months (who knew?). I have had better prints after heating the block-printing ink before use, and I´m wondering whether heating the lino before printing might have some effect. I´m curious to try all these things.

Gratuitous picture of Otaki Forks, North Island, New Zealand

No comments: