I wasn't even going to make this again (even though I'd already cut the fabric pieces out), but then I saw a great version on the internet (which I can't find anymore). But, the band across the middle really doesn't flatter me at all, so I made a few changes. I added 2 cm to the top, and 1 cm to the bottom of the bodice, an extra inch to the bodice width (for more gathering), 2 inches to the length. Since the band was also the tie, and I did away with the band, I added back ties, but set them lower at the waist. Wonderful Jellyspec gave me this great fabric.
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
My son is really interested in volcanoes at the moment, so I made him a fabric volcano for his train set, out of the remaining scraps I had left. The orange stuff is supposed to be lava flowing down the mountain... I think he likes it - at least it is useful as a hat... Gosh our living room was messy that day.
Friday, April 9, 2010
I had a go at the guest slippers from Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing book. Its getting colder here, so I made both the lining and outside from fleece - the brightest colour I could find because I am always losing my slippers around the house. The fleece was a bit thick to turn the seams underneath and sew a base on, so I just kept the seam on the outside and zig-zag stitched over it. Due to the thick fabric, I added 2 cm to the top seams all the way around.
Sunday, April 4, 2010
I did my first tshirt, Simplicity 2092 from the Sew U Home Stretch Book (The Built by Wendy Guide to Sewing Knit Fabrics). I should have read the book before buying the fabric, as I mistakenly chose a knit (an interlock I think) with no spandex % in it = low stretch. I put a scoop neck on it, which was not in the book. My commercial tshirts are all very slightly shaped at the waist, and I think I'd alter the pattern like that for my next tshirt, as I also think the tshirt is a bit boxy (although again that might just be the interlock fabric). I'd also add an inch to the length. I'll definitely make more, but from better fabric.
Here is View D of Butterick 4549 (B4549). I like it, and it was easy to make, but I'm not a big fan of side zips. I took a cm off the neckline, because when I made a test muslin of the pattern last year, the neckline seemed really high at the time, but I should have just left it as it was in the pattern.