Sunday, May 3, 2009

McCall 5050 peasant blouse

I've been looking at this M5050 pattern, and decided to make it, even though I'm 7 months pregnant, so I could wear it once the baby was born. I made a medium (I'm normally a NZ size 12/14), and I'm a bit surprised that it not only fits me with room to move, but also covers my tummy. I had intended to make a non-maternity shirt, and thought that I would only be able to put it over the top bodice at this stage. It also gaped quite a lot at the back neck, which I took in by about 2-3 inches. I added contrasting fabric on the cuffs. It was quick and easy to sew though - only took about an hour and a half.

So notes for me next time, for making a non-maternity shirt once the baby is born...
* make a Small size
* move the waist gathering down by 1-2 cm.
* take a cm off the front side (only-not the bottom side) of the arm seam when cutting the pattern (where it meets the bodice)
* reduce the width of the back by 2-3 inches.
* sleeve length was good.
* reduce the amount of elastic recommended for the neckline by about 2-3 inches.

[written a while after] I really like peasant blouses (done in appropriately hippy material), but I'm wondering whether Kwik Sew 3062 might be a better peasant blouse.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Totally fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

This turned out beautiful! You could almost have your own clothing line for maternity apparel, which is in high demand!